Tuesday, June 14, 2016

REVIEW: Winterspell by Claire Legrande

Book Blurb: After her mother is brutally murdered, seventeen-year-old Clara Stole is determined to find out what happened to her. Her father, a powerful man with little integrity, is a notorious New York City gang lord in the syndicate-turned-empire called Concordia. And he isn’t much help.

But there is something even darker than Concordia’s corruption brewing under the surface of the city, something full of vengeance and magic, like the stories Clara’s godfather used to tell her when she was a little girl. Then her father is abducted and her little sister’s life is threatened, and Clara accidentally frees Nicholas from a statue that has been his prison for years. Nicholas is the rightful prince of Cane, a wintry kingdom that exists beyond the city Clara has known her whole life.

When Nicholas and Clara journey together to Cane to retrieve her father, Clara encounters Anise, the queen of the faeries, who has ousted the royal family in favor of her own totalitarian, anti-human regime. Clara finds that this new world is not as foreign as she feared, but time is running out for her family, and there is only so much magic can do...

My Review: Well the byline on the cover of the book tells the truth this book isn't your grandmother's Nutcracker story. I have grown up with the Nutcracker and to this day I will still watch the Barbie version of the tale. Though when I was younger I watched the cartoon version which is good but I enjoyed the Barbie version more. I hated how the Clara in this book started off as a very weak character even though she takes lessons in combat from her Godfather Drosselmeyer. She has this training to kick the crap out of anybody but gets afraid around any member of the mafia that her family is connected to. Plus she's just plain weird lusting after a statue. Granted it's a prince with a curse placed on him but still.

I made myself read this book when it started to drag towards the middle of the book but I'm glad that I stuck it out. The ending was so good. And the epilogue that is on the author's website just made it so much better. I really enjoyed how Clara finally got revenge on the mob that has plagued her family even though it took her TWO years to finally get back to Nicholas. I'm sort of mad about that. But this was such a good book once you get past the boring parts. I definitely recommend that any fan of the Nutcracker needs to read this book.

Rating: ★★★★☆

0 comments:

Post a Comment