Tuesday, May 03, 2016

BLOG TOUR: Side By Side, Apart by Ann Galvia ~ Review

Book Blurb: “You see what a strange circumstance it is,” she said, feeling some fleeting relief. “You know our acquaintance has not been easy.”

Elizabeth Bennet—stubborn, quick to judge but slow to revise her opinions, and entirely prejudiced against the man who had just proposed marriage at Hunsford—awakens to learn she has been in an accident. Bedridden in an unfamiliar house, she learns eleven years have passed since the last moment she can remember.

She finds herself a married woman, the mother of four, and pregnant yet again. Her children are strangers, and most mystifying of all, Fitzwilliam Darcy is her husband! How could she have married a man she loathes?

Confined to the house by her injury, Mr. Darcy’s company is inescapable. But is just being side by side enough to overcome their differences? What happens when Darcy, improved in manners and happily married to Mrs. Elizabeth Darcy, is faced with an obstinate, bewildered Miss Elizabeth Bennet?

My Review: I have seen this story posted on AHA before under the name Bruises but I had not read it. Which I'm sort of glad I didn't because then I wouldn't have gone in to the story with fresh eyes. I have to admit that I like this story. It offers a look at the life of the Darcys eleven years after they have gotten married. It was very nice of them to give the kindness that they did to the Wickhams. Of course I would have loved to learn what has happened to the de Bourgh's and Colonel Fitzwilliam in the last eleven years. I sort of wanted to see the situation through Darcy's eyes. His internal turmoil at his wife not remembering the last eleven years must have tormented him greatly. In all this story is a fast read and should not be missed. 

Rating: ★★★★☆

Author Bio:
Ann started writing sometime before she knew how letters functioned. Her first books were drawings of circus poodles heavily annotated with scribbles meant to tell a story. Upon learning how letters were combined to represent words, she started doing that instead. This has proven to be much more successful.

Sometime after that, she decided she wanted to study Anthropology and sometime after that, she decided she liked cats more than dogs. And sometime after that, she decided to become an educator and teach a new generation of kids how to combine letters to represent words, and use those words to express ideas.

And sometime after that, she realized all she really wanted to do was write, which probably should have been evident from the beginning.

8 comments:

  1. I was also aware that this had been published in fan fiction but had not got round to reading it - can't imagine what Elizabeth's thoughts and feelings were when she woke up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting you would have liked to seen it from Darcy's eyes. I wanted to read key points from Elizabeth's POV. Hahaha! Like you, I'd never read it online but kept hearing about it. Was glad to read it. Thanks for your honest, spoiler free review:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read both versions and I loved them both. The writing flows nicely and the emotional journey that Elizabeth makes is sometimes difficult to witness; not only for her but for Darcy and their family as well. With that said, I'll most likely read it again one day because I just enjoyed this storyline and the love between Darcy and Elizabeth was just so bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this as Bruises and am looking forward to reading the published version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also read this story as Bruises and Ann's engaging peculiar style of writing conquered me quickly and completely. After Bruises I devoured her every P&P story I could find and now I know for sure that I have new favourite author! I really look forward to re-reading Side by Side, Apart (IMHO the title alone catches attention and proves the author's creativity) to see what might have been slightly changed when compared with the original Bruises.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much looking forward to reading this book, especially after this glowing review. Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a spot-on review, Tina! I enjoyed both versions myself, and I'm a big fan of all Ann Galvia's work. I hope to see more of her fan fiction published in the future to reach a wider audience.

    ReplyDelete