Wednesday, April 13, 2016

REVIEW: Darcy and Elizabeth - A Promise Kept by Brenda J. Webb

Book Blurb: Darcy and Elizabeth - A Promise Kept is a Pride and Prejudice variation. Not a simple retelling, it is an intriguing new story that does not follow canon.

Five years after his disastrous proposal at Kent, Fitzwilliam Darcy receives a letter from Charles Bingley regarding a promise made when their friendship ended. Should Darcy keep the promise, it will throw him into the company of the one woman he has struggled for years to forget--Elizabeth Bennet.

Having just entered a secret agreement with Lady Markham, will Darcy put his future in jeopardy by stepping in to help Bingley? Has time and distance helped him overcome his regard for Elizabeth, or will he fall as madly in love with her as before?

Is true love to be found in a promise kept?

My Review: I will start by saying that I own every book Brenda Webb has written so I had to buy this one. And just like with all her other novels this one does not disappoint. I went into this book wanting to hate the woman who Darcy has entered into a secret agreement with but I ended up liking her. Especially as she doesn't try to cling to Darcy all that much after she finds out that William and Elizabeth love each other. As a added bonus we don't just get one plot to separate our lovers in this story we get two. The reader gets more villains than we can keep up with in this novel and I like it. I am disappointed that some characters get away with their villainy in this tale (Caroline) while the majority are punished. I didn't like how some story lines in this book got pushed to the back burner while some got major center stage action. While I did enjoy this novel it's not my favorite out of all of Ms. Webb's books.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment