Monday, January 18, 2016

REVIEW: A Scone To Die For by H.Y. Hanna

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Book One of An Oxford Tearoom Mystery series. 

Book Blurb: When an American tourist is murdered with a scone in Gemma Rose’s quaint Oxfordshire tearoom, she suddenly finds herself apron-deep in a mystery involving long-buried secrets from Oxford’s past.

Armed with her insider knowledge of the University and with the help of four nosy old ladies from the village (not to mention a cheeky little tabby cat named Muesli), Gemma sets out to solve the mystery—all while dealing with her matchmaking mother and the return of her old college love, Devlin O’Connor, now a dashing CID detective.

But with the body count rising and her business going bust, can Gemma find the killer before things turn to custard?

My Review: This book is the first in a brand new mystery series from H.Y. Hanna. I normally don't read mystery novels but for Ms. Hanna I made an exception. However I do prefer a good romance novel over a mystery any day. I do admit that I really did enjoy this novel. I liked the main heroine very much and I can relate to how she has to deal with an overbearing mother. I really enjoyed all the characters that were in this book. To the old biddies (who stick their noses into everyone's business) to Gemma's mother (who can't remember her iPad password) the reader will find at least one character they will like. I thought it was brillant who the murderer actually ended up being. This novel is a great start to the series and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

Rating: ★★★★☆

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your lovely review of my new release! I'm so happy that you enjoyed it and feel very honoured that you made an exception for me. :-) I think we can all relate to dealing with an exasperating mother - ha! ha!

    Thanks again for taking the time to read and review it.

    best wishes,
    Hsin-Yi
    (H.Y. Hanna)

    ReplyDelete