Tuesday, December 29, 2015

REVIEW: Sway by Melanie Stanford

I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Book Blurb: She’d be happy to forget…if the past would just stop hitting “replay”.

Ava Elliot never thought she’d become a couch surfer. But with a freshly minted—and worthless—degree from Julliard, and her dad squandering the family fortune, what choice does she have?

Living with her old high school friends, though, has its own drawbacks. Especially when her ex-fiancé Eric Wentworth drops back into her life. Eight years ago, she was too young, too scared of being poor, and too scared of her dad’s disapproval. Dumping him was a big mistake.

In the most ironic of role reversals, Eric is rolling in musical success, and Ava’s starting at the bottom to build her career. Worse, every song Eric sings is an arrow aimed straight for her regrets.

One encounter, one song too many, and Ava can’t go on like this. It’s time to tell Eric the truth, and make a choice. Finally let go of the past, or risk her heart for a second chance with her first love. If he can forgive her…and she can forgive herself.

Warning: Contains an actor whose kisses taste like chocolate, a pianist with scores of regret, and a sexy crooner who just wants his ex to cry him a river.

My Review: This book is a modern take on Persuasion with a emphasis on music. Ava (Anne) is a recent graduate from Julliard and Eric (Wentworth) is a musician fresh off a recent world tour. The book follows follows the original book pretty closely but with a few differences. I loved the little homage to Sailor Moon in the book. As a Moonie this pleased me greatly. It also made me wonder if the author is a fellow Moonie as well. It always makes me happy when I see a nod to a fandom that I enjoy in a book.

This book had me on pins and needles throughout the majority of it. I wondered if Ava and Eric would end up together as for awhile I thought they wouldn't has they were both dating other people. And when they finally did I couldn't stop grinning. I love how the author incorporated the famous letter from the original into the story. I have to say that this book has become an instant favorite for me. This book is a great start for a promising debut author. I hope to see many more novels from this author in the future.

I recommend this book to any fan of Persuasion or romance novels.

Rating: 4½ stars out of 5

2 comments:

  1. My pre-order downloaded! Looking forward to reading. Congratulations, Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the lovely review! Glad you enjoyed! :D

    ReplyDelete