Thursday, June 04, 2015

REVIEW: Sun-Kissed: Effusions of Summer

Won this at the Sun-Kissed: Effusions of Summer Beach Party on Facebook.

Book Blurb: If you desire a little heat, a summer flirtation, or an escape to bask in your own private sun, this whimsical collection of original short stories is inspired by all things summer. In collaboration with some of Meryton Press’s most popular and award-winning authors, this anthology debuts other promising and emerging talent. 

• In KaraLynne Mackrory’s Shades of Pemberley, Mr. Darcy, with some fantastic assistance, discovers Elizabeth Bennet in a most unlikely place.

• Karen M. Cox’s Northanger Revisited 2015 modernizes Northanger Abbey at a fictionalized seaside in Georgia.

• Linda Beutler takes us to Paris as a young gentleman is schooled in the ways of amour in The Incomplete Education of Fitzwilliam Darcy.

• In Spyglasses and Sunburns, J. Marie Croft takes the Miss Bennets to the seaside where they chance upon handsome acquaintances.

• In Abigail Bok’s A Summer in Sanditon, a little sea bathing seems just the thing to cure what ails Anne de Bourgh.

• In Natalie Richards’ Midsummer Madness, an honest confession and a promise between strangers at a masque ball mend a misunderstanding.

• Sophia Rose re-imagines a modern-day Persuasion in Second Chance at Sunset Beach.

• In Morgan K Wyatt’s Dream Spinner, a near-death car accident and an unlikely trucker bring new perspective to a young co-ed’s life and love.

Contemporary and Regency alike, each romance was dreamt as a perfect summer refreshment to bring a smile to your own sun-kissed face.

The Review: Since there so many stories in this anthology I will be looking at each story individually. 

Spyglasses and Sunburns by J. Marie Croft - This story is about three of the Bennet sisters and the Gardiners going to the seaside. Who else just happens to be there, Bingley, Darcy and Georgiana. This story just had me laughing. A LOT. Omg all the hilarity that happens just because of telescope. Poor Bingley and Elizabeth. 

Second Chance on Sunset Beach by Sophia Rose - This story was a little heart breaking. You know though if either one had made an attempt to contact the other in the eight years they were apart they could have saved a lot of heart break from each other. This is the authors debut story and it doesn't disappoint. 

The Incomplete Education of Fitzwilliam Darcy by Linda Beutler - I found this story to be somewhat entertaining. Granted I don't like seeing Darcy with other women but neither do I think he would have remained a virgin until he was twenty-eight either. It was an alright read.

Midsummer Madness by Natalie Richards - This story was very short but very sweet. I loved it.

Shades of Pemberley by KaraLynne Mackrory - I loved this short story. It was very much like another one on AHA where they got locked in a room together. Though in this one he not taking a bath. 

A Summer in Sandition by Abigail Bok - I thought that this story was going to be a bust but it wasn't. Anne ends up becoming a strong person in this tale instead of the weak character she was in Pride and Prejudice. She ends up taking control of her life and refuses Sir Edward (guess where he's from... lol) when he insults her with his proposal. I liked this one.

Dream Spinner by Morgan K Wyatt - This was a good story. I kept trying to figure out what Austen story this was supposed to based on and couldn't figure it out at all. But if you take it at face value it was a nice little story. 

Northanger Revisited 2015 by Karen M. Cox - This short story is basically what the blurb says, it's Northanger Abbey set in modern times. That being said I really enjoyed it. I wish it could have been longer though. And I would love to read the book that Catherine was reading in the story.

I enjoyed the majority of the stories in this anthology but my favorite would have to be Of Spyglasses and Sunburns. If your looking for a good summer read pick up this book. 

Rating: ★★★★★

5 comments:

  1. You must be a speed reader, Tina! LOL! Appreciate your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read extremely fast. I average between 4 or 5 books a week, more if the books are short.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for reading and reviewing, Tina. It warms the cockles of my heart that Sunglasses and Sunburns made you laugh. The story was certainly great fun to write.
    Gee, I wish I had time to read four or five books a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have nothing to do until I start my new job next week. That's why I read constantly. lol

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your thoughtful review. Happy you enjoyed it, too!!

    ReplyDelete