Wednesday, June 24, 2015

REVIEW: Mr Darcy Likes It Wild by Beth Massey


Book Blurb: What if Elizabeth Bennet's father insisted she marry Mr Collins? Would she be a dutiful daughter and submit to save her mother and sisters? Or would literature's favourite 'headstrong girl' do all in her power to find an alternative to a life of misery shackled to a ridiculous man? 'Mr Darcy Likes it Wild' blends elements of several classic road comedies to tell the tale of Lizzy's decision--the silliness of Billy Wilder's 'Some Like it Hot, ' the classic gender reversal comedy of Shakespeare's 'As You Like It, ' the hilarious dialogue of Georgette Heyer's 'The Corinthians' combined with Jane Austen's iconic story of mismatched lovers searching for understanding and joy in Regency England. Fitz and Eli's trip to happiness is filled with laughter, miscommunication, disguise of every sort, stolen passion and great adventure. 

My Review: So I want to make a confession. I bought this book back in March of last year but I am only just now getting around to reading it. That's bad of me right? Anyways on to the review.

The best I can call this book is a parody variation of Pride and Prejudice. I mean you see Elizabeth go to Mr Darcy to request funds from him so she can escape marriage to Mr Collins. But the thing is that she has disguised herself as a male and well before Darcy can figure out it's her he has thoughts about her bottom. Believing her to be a male at first he berets himself for his naughty thoughts. Well he and she end up getting caught up in this convoluted plan to first get her to Derbyshire and then to Ireland as a companion to a old lady. Mostly because he doesn't want to let her go through with her plan to escape England. 

Along the way Darcy pretty much makes people believe that him and Elisha (Elizabeth) are having a affair with each other. Which wouldn't be so bad if Elizabeth was traveling as a woman and not a man. Rumors start to circulate and Elisha gets branded as a hero after saving Lady Clarissa from Gentleman Jack, an impoverished nobleman who needs money who is making a fortune being a highwayman. And I really don't think that Elizabeth would talk the way she did even if she was pretending to be a man. 

In all honestly while this book did make me laugh most of the way through it I probably won't read this again unless I need a good laugh. If you enjoy reading parodies I recommend this book to you. 

Rating: ★★★★☆

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting. I have read your other novels but not this one so I guess I'd better get it!

    ReplyDelete